Students can use Bluebook™ on school-managed and personal Windows devices that meet device requirements.
Keeping Bluebook Up to Date
Testing requires the latest version of Bluebook. If deployed properly, Bluebook performs routine updates when students launch it but releases occasionally require a new deployment. If Bluebook cannot auto-update, a message displays that reinstallation is needed before students can test.
Before You Start
Check device requirements to make sure your Windows devices can support testing on Bluebook.
Technology staff have three options for installing the testing app on managed Windows devices:
- Allow student download from our site. They’ll need write access to their local folder for installation and testing.
- Allow student download from your store. Use your mobile device management (MDM) platform to place the app in your school store of approved applications.
- Deploy the app to multiple devices. Use your MDM platform to package and deploy the testing app in a user-writable folder.
- Install to user-level profiles (not system-level profiles). You can install to shared devices using individual profiles or a single profile (service account).
- Allow write access to the profile it’s installed in. Permits the app to load and save exam data, allowing testing to continue during internet disruptions.
- Allow write access to the directory it's installed in. Required for successful auto-update.
- Set your application blocker to allow Bluebook to launch.
Check Your Installation
Take these steps to make sure students can take the test and submit their answers on test day:
- Check your MDM platform to make sure you enabled forced updates. If Bluebook tries to auto-update on test day and it can’t, students won’t be able to test.
- Confirm the Bluebook version on a student device. Open Bluebook on one of the testing devices you deployed to and compare the version number displayed on the sign-in screen to the version listed on Bluebook Updates.
- Optional: Spot-check student devices. Open Bluebook on some of your testing devices and click Test Your Device on the sign-in screen to find out if the device meets minimum requirements.
Student Download from College Board
Students who test on personal devices should go to bluebook.app.collegeboard.org on their testing device to download Bluebook. The download page will detect their device type and provide the right file.
Students who test on school-managed devices can also download Bluebook themselves if your policy allows it.
Important: Students need write access to their local folder to allow for installation and testing.