If you’re using Bluebook™ to take an SAT on the weekend, here’s how it will work.
Before Test Day
- Download the Bluebook exam app on the device you’ll use on test day. If you’re testing on a school-managed device, this step may be completed for you. Proceed to step 2.
- Log in to the app with your College Board account and complete exam setup. Bluebook will load your exam onto your device and generate your admission ticket.
- Print your admission ticket or email it to yourself.
- On the application homepage, go to Practice and Prepare and try a test preview or a full-length practice test.
What to Bring on Test Day
- Your fully charged device. You must have the app installed and exam setup complete.
- Your admission ticket. You’ll show this to the proctor when you check in.
- An approved photo ID.
- A power cord and/or a portable charger. We cannot guarantee you’ll have access to an outlet during testing. Your device should be able to hold a charge for 3–4 hours.
- A pencil or pen. Scratch paper will be provided—do not bring your own.
- An approved calculator. There’s a graphing calculator built into the app, but you can bring your own if you like.
- An external mouse if you use one.
- An external keyboard if you use one (you can only use external keyboards with tablets—not laptops).
Taking the Test
- On test day, arrive at your test center 15 minutes before your test begins.
- Your proctor will check your admission ticket and photo ID when you get to your room.
- When you sit down, you’ll connect to Wi-Fi, log in to Bluebook, and complete a short check-in process in the app.
- Before the test, your proctor will read some short instructions, collect any prohibited items, and give you a start code. You’ll enter the code into Bluebook and the test will begin.
- The digital SAT has two sections—Reading and Writing, and Math.
- Each section has two parts called modules, and each module is timed separately. You can move back and forth between questions in a module and review your answers until time expires.
- Between sections, you’ll get a break. Follow all instructions on the Bluebook break page.
- At the end of the test, Bluebook will submit your answers automatically. Do not close your device until you see the “Congratulations!” screen.
- If your submission fails for any reason, you’ll see instructions in the app to complete your submission.