All students taking the SAT on a school day will test with Bluebook. Here’s how it works.
Before Test Day
Download the Bluebook exam app on the device you’ll use on test day. If you’re testing on a school-managed device, this step may be completed for you.
Before test day, most schools will schedule an in-school digital readiness check. You and your classmates will be given unique sign-in tickets that you’ll use to sign in to Bluebook. Then you’ll complete an exam setup, confirm your device is ready for test day, and take a test preview or a full-length practice test.
If your school doesn’t hold a digital readiness check, you’ll have a chance to complete exam setup on test day.
What to Bring on Test Day
- Your fully charged device. Whether you have a personal device or a school-managed device that you bring from home, or a device that’s provided to you on test day, your device must be fully charged. Make sure Bluebook is installed on the device and that exam setup is complete.
- A power cord and/or a portable charger. We cannot guarantee you’ll have access to an outlet during testing. Your device should be able to hold a charge for 3–4 hours.
- A pencil or pen. Scratch paper will be provided—do not bring your own.
- An external mouse if you use one.
- An external keyboard if you use one (you can only use external keyboards with tablets—not laptops).
- An approved calculator. There’s a graphing calculator built into the app, but you can bring your own if you like.
- An approved photo ID if you’re testing somewhere other than your regular school.
Taking the Test
- On test day, you’ll connect to Wi-Fi, log in to Bluebook, and complete a short check-in process.
- Before the test starts, your proctor will read some instructions, collect any prohibited items, and give you a start code. You’ll enter the code into Bluebook and the test will begin.
- The test has 2 sections—Reading and Writing, and Math—with a short break in between.
- Your school will let you know if you’ll also be taking the SAT Essay, which would appear as a third section of the test.
- Each section has 2 parts called modules, and each module is timed separately. You can move back and forth between questions in a module and review your answers until time expires.
- At the end of the test, Bluebook will submit your answers automatically. Do not close your device until you see the “Congratulations!” screen.
- If your submission fails for any reason, you’ll see instructions in the app to complete your submission.