Students can use Bluebook™ on school-managed and personal Macs that meet device requirements.
Keeping Bluebook Up to Date
Testing requires the latest version of Bluebook. If deployed properly, Bluebook performs routine updates when students launch it but releases occasionally require a new deployment. If Bluebook cannot auto-update, a message displays that reinstallation is needed before students can test.
Before You Start
Bluebook is available in the Mac app store. You have two options for installing it on school-managed Macs:
- Allow student download from the app store. If your device policy allows it, enable students to download the app themselves.
- Deploy the app to multiple devices. Use your mobile device management (MDM) platform to distribute the app. Be sure to enable forced updates. If that’s not an option, enable the app to auto-update.
Note: Bluebook is called “Bluebook Exams” in the app store.
Caution: Don’t Use macOS Guest Accounts
Don’t let students take the test as guest users. Guest users who don’t have an internet connection when their test ends might be unable to submit their answers later because all guest user data is deleted as soon as the user signs out of the device.
If your students are testing on shared devices, you can use individual profiles or a single profile (service account).
Check Your Installation
Take these steps to make sure students can take the test and submit their answers on test day:
- Check your MDM platform to make sure you enabled forced updates. If Bluebook tries to auto-update on test day and it can’t, students won’t be able to test.
- Confirm the Bluebook version on a student device. Open Bluebook on one of the testing devices you deployed to and compare the version number displayed on the sign-in screen to the version listed on Bluebook Updates.
- Optional: Spot-check student devices. Open Bluebook on some of your testing devices and click Test Your Device on the sign-in screen to find out if the device meets minimum requirements.
Student Download from College Board
Students who test on personal devices should go to bluebook.app.collegeboard.org on their testing device to download Bluebook. The download page will detect their device type and provide the right instructions.
Students who test on school-managed devices can also download Bluebook themselves if your policy allows it.
Important: Students need write access to their local folder to allow for installation and testing.