In spring 2024, digital AP Exams are being offered for 8 courses:
- AP English Language and Composition
- AP English Literature and Composition
- AP Computer Science Principles
- AP Seminar
- AP European History
- AP United States History
- AP World History: Modern
- AP African American Studies (pilot schools only)
If you’re enrolled to take one of these digital exams, here’s how it will work.
Before Test Day
Ask your teacher or your school’s AP coordinator when Bluebook™ will be installed on the school-managed device you’ll use on test day. If you’re testing with a personal device, download Bluebook now.
Log in to the app with your College Board account.
On the application homepage, locate your upcoming exam under Your Tests.
In April, go to the Practice and Prepare section and try a test preview.
What to Bring on Test Day
Your fully charged device with Bluebook installed. Your device should be able to hold a charge for 4 hours.
- Your device’s power cord and/or a portable charger. Please note: you might not have access to an outlet during testing.
- A pencil or pen. Scratch paper will be provided—do not bring your own.
- An external mouse if you use one.
- An external keyboard is required if you’re testing on an iPad—they are not permitted if you’re testing on a laptop.
Taking the Exam
- Once you’re in your classroom on test day, you’ll connect to Wi-Fi, log in to Bluebook, and complete a short check-in process in the app.
- Before the test, your proctor will read some short instructions, collect any prohibited items, and give you a start code. You’ll enter the code into Bluebook and the test will begin.
- Most AP Exams have two sections. On some exams, one or both sections are divided into two parts (Part A and Part B, for example).
- The app will let you know how much time remains in each section or part. You can move back and forth between questions in a section or part until time expires.
- Between sections, you’ll get a break. Follow all instructions on the Bluebook break page. Note: If you’re taking AP Computer Science Principles or AP Seminar, there’s no scheduled break.
- At the end of the test, Bluebook will submit your answers automatically. Do not close your device until you see the “Congratulations!” screen.
- If your submission fails for any reason, you’ll see instructions in the app to complete your submission. Don’t worry! All your answers will be saved to your device during testing.